Monday, April 16, 2012

Only fools buy individual songs

Jeff Bezos named Amazon.com after the river because it seemed unlimited.
There was a time when I spent a lot of my time looking for great music. I would keep a list of all the songs I found and then when I had extra money I would select the best from the list and buy those songs.
It has probably been 5 or 6 years since I bought a song but only because I found other things on which to spend my time and money.
This recent article in Popular Science reminded me of my old hobby and shocked me because it makes great sense--and I've never thought about the personal music library this way.
"But here's the thing: people are buying digital (meaning, without a physical aspect, unlike a CD, which is also digital) music in all the wrong ways. The vast majority of this music is being bought as iTunes-style downloads. But, my friends, subscriptions are the best, most futuristic option for buying music right now--and they're dirt cheap... there's no denying that this is the way we should be buying music in 2012: a pittance of a monthly fee gives you unlimited access to basically all music, ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment