Monday, April 2, 2012

How to get your name in lights


The AoM has a cool post about business lessons from the life of Andrew Carnegie.
Some highlights:
-With only a year or two of schooling, he moved from factory bobbin boy to railroad executive to iron and steel magnate, eventually becoming the richest man in the world. 
-Carnegie and Franklin both credited much of their success to self-education (both spent all their spare moments reading any books they could get their hands on) and their membership in mutual improvement groups. 
-[He donated] close to $400 million (something like $5 billion in today’s dollars) for the building of libraries (3,000 in all), music halls, museums, universities, and pensions for former employees 
-"there was scarcely a minute in which I could not learn something or find out how much there was to learn and how little I knew. I felt that my foot was upon the ladder and that I was bound to climb."

-He understood that the man who sits and waits to be told what to do in critical situations will never get ahead..."Instead of the question, 'What must I do for my employer?' substitute 'What can I do?' Faithful and conscientious discharge of the duties assigned you is all very well, but the verdict in such cases generally is that you perform your present duties so well that you had better continue performing them."



No comments:

Post a Comment